Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Restoring Classic Pipes - A Labor of Love

Restoring Estate Pipes
from Classic Pipes Shops and Beyond

For years I've been restoring estate pipes purchased at flea markets, antique shops and internet auction sites.  It's taken me quite a few years to master my craft - and by "master" I mean "not hurt myself and/or ruin the pipe I'm working on".

As you probably know from reading my other posts, my father got me into smoking pipes when I was roughly 20/21 years old and it's been an ongoing education since.

Some of my favorite pipes have been brought back from charred / disgusting / sooty state to prime-sweet smokers.  Here is an example of a before-and-after of one of my favorites:  a John Bessai saddle bit chubby bent Rhodesian.

Before - note the rim and stem.

After, cleaned of soot build-up and cleaned inside and out.

Here's the Jost Old English DeLuxe I restored from e-bay.  Pipe was smoked a handful of times in its life but showed over charring / tobacco soot on the rim.  Everything else cleaned up nicely.

Before - note build-up on the rim and stem discoloring.
Rim cleaned and finished product.  Glorious shape and sweet smoker too.

One last pipe for example - Garfinkel's Oom Paul - Made in London England.  Likely a Comoy's product but no shape number is included.  Estimating 1930s/1940s from the cursive Garfinkel's stamp and lack of shape number.

Before - tobacco soot on rim and discolored stem - (pre stem soak / bath).


After - cleaned from top to bottom.  Took several pipe cleaners and time but cleaned up great!  Note the small 'G' stamp in the stem - excellent condition.

 Wish my camera work was as rewarding as my pipe cleaning and restoration has been.

Tools I use for restoration of my pipes include:

  1. Heavy Duty Pipe Reamer
  2. Pipe Cleaners (lots - bristled and smooth)
  3. Powdered Oxi-Clean
  4. Wet Dry Sand Paper 500, 1000, 1200 grit
  5. 0000 steel wool
  6. Distilled Water
  7. Alcohol / Spirits (from Isopropyl to Whisky / Vodka)
  8. Bench / Wheel Buffer - two wheels one for buffing / one for waxing
  9. White Jewelers compound
  10. Carnuba Wax
Will post more as pictures are taken to document my restoration process.

Thanks for checking in!




No comments:

Post a Comment